Tuesday 6 July 2010

06/07/2010 - Day 9


Mostly, I think I am the sort of person that looks forward. But occasionally things happen that make me look back. Today my gorgeous little niece is 4. Bo is the daughter of my baby Sister. My baby Sister is 35. I'm 8 years older than her - you do the maths! Seven of my friends have turned 40 this year (were there a lot of power cuts in 1969?!). And today I heard that a friend from school is celebrating her 25th Wedding Anniversary. When did I become old enough to have a school friend that has been married that long? What was I doing 25 years ago? Well I was 18 - the same age my daughter will turn in a few months time! I had my first full time job, was dating the man that I later married (and then divorced), and who was to become the father of my eldest two children. I was finding my way in an adult world. So much has happened in that time. I've lived in many different houses, have married twice, had three children (and gained a step child), had countless other jobs. I've met some wonderful people. Some I am still in touch with and have become good friends, others came into my life briefly, but not all are forgotten. Do I feel different? Well yes. I loved being 18, but not as much as being 43. Sure, I was younger, slimmer, had less responsibilities, could stay up all night and not take three days to recover, could holiday whenever or wherever I wanted. Would I swap my life now for my life then? Not a chance! I'm happy with who I am, the home in which I have created, the people I surround myself with, the life I lead. Life just gets better and better. In another 25 years time, I hope to hear that Mandy and Brian are celebrating their golden wedding anniversary. And no doubt I will look back and wonder where those 25 years have gone. I will wonder what I was doing when I was 43 and remember that I was younger and slimmer! But if life improves the way it has the last 25 years, then I can't wait to be 68!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment