Wednesday 21 July 2010

20/07/2010 - Day 23


I went to London. A year ago I had never been to an exhibition, but yesterday I went to three. I don't confess to understanding everything I see, but I enjoy the experience and feel I learn from them. The first place I went to was the Victoria and Albert Museum to see the Grace Kelly Exhibition. http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/gracekelly/home/ This was a display of her clothing, from film, to her 'courting years' through to when she died. They really were beautiful clothes and I'm sure they were a joy to wear.

I then went to the South Bank to the National Theatre. http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/46328/exhibitions/the-press-photographers-year-2010.html Here I saw the Press Photographer's year. Forget the tabloid snappers, here I found a collection of some of the most moving photography I have seen. Some of the images were very harrowing and it was hard not to be moved. Others were light and fun, but well captured all the same. If you happen to be in the area before the exhibition finishes, I would highly recommend taking a look.

The third exhibition I saw wasn't what I had planned to see. I had planned to go to the National Portrait gallery to see the Camille Silvy works. Unfortunately, there was so much to see (or photograph) along the South Bank, that I got slightly delayed, and by the time I reached the gallery, I was too late to be allowed into the exhibition. However, I was able to go into the BP Portrait Award http://www.npg.org.uk/index.php?id=4711 This is not something I would normally go to see, as I have no real interest in art, and these paintings did little to change my mind about that. Interestingly, the paintings I liked the most, were those that looked like photographs!

So all in all, a lot of walking, three very different exhibitions, and a tired but happy visitor!

No comments:

Post a Comment